Sunday 7 January 2024

Braking even..

The brake set is always a fine example of basic mechanics and really an eyecatcher on a retro bike. And when it comes to design, to my taste,  Campagnolo is really outstanding. Even though the Monoplanar is still my favorite, the Campa Record BR-04 RE is equally well shaped and superior in braking output due to its dual pivot construction. So I decided the Master would have them. Although the availability on the web is not too bad, upon the search I more frequently ran into the BR02-RED, which is more widespread and looks similar at first sight. Looking closer however, the rear brake caliper turns out to be single pivoted and lighter in construction. But I decided equal calipers would be better balanced in both look and performance and so the better choice. At the time of my search, NOS was not available and I finally ended up with a set from Germany in very good shape and fairly priced.  A 1994 1st Generation set still with Campagnolo as single marking, as "Record" only shows up after 1995.  The shiny blank calipers are a fine match with the chrome of the front & rear fork and although the complete original set with handles of course has the characteristic round levers, I had to stick with the current 10 speed Carbon Ergopower set. Record as well, so surely a fine fit.



No comments:

Post a Comment